Tuesday, July 14, 2009

San Francisco (sort of) to Davis

So on Sunday I rode home (Vallejo Ferry, back to Davis) from Heiko's 40th Birthday party, pie fight, scavenger hunt, and bonfire, (very fun but that is another story.)

I missed the 12:40 ferry so I did not arrive in Vallejo until 3:10.The last time I did this I missed the ferry too, and did the ride froom Richmond. That was a mistake so this time I waited for the next ferry while sipping coffee and enjoying the sunshine on the bay. There was an awesome tailwind up from Vallejo to Napa and I enjoyed it. It was a hot slog up the mountains out of Napa though and I thought I was gonna die, misjudged my eating a little and was really struggling with the heat. So I took a break and enjoyed the view a bit, eventually a cool breeze came up and cooled my overheated body down. So I got back on the bike and enjoyed the foothills through the evening light, beautiful. In the Google earth screenshot you can see where Hwy 121 sneeks over the mountains and down into Wooden Valley. In this picture it looks like the approach from the east is steeper but it sure did not feel that way on Sunday.

Nice to get in a longer ride (about 75 miles) probably my longest yet this year. I took some comfort that Lance Armstrong described this ride this past winter as the hardest day he had had on a bike. Of course he was talking about the cold weather, but it's nice to know that it is a tough ride. I need to catch up to Joe King who did the Livestrong Century yesterday (Go Joe!) and the Mt Tam Century a few weeks ago. Maybe we will have a group of riders do the hundred mile route Saturday this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment